Sunday, January 27, 2008
Baby Update
I had my 32 week appt. Friday. As I had previously suspected, baby is breech. This is the first one of the kids to be in this position at this point in my pregnancy, so I must admit I'm a little nervous. I've been assured by several sources (including the Dr.) that she still has plenty of time to turn, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime, I've discovered there's a method of turning the baby externally called ECV (external cephalic version). My doctor is familiar with this procedure and we are going to discuss it in greater detail at my 36 week appt. (it's not usually performed before 37 weeks). I have done a little research on the internet about it, so I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with the idea, but I admit that I'm still afraid of it. Have any of you out there heard anything about this procedure? I'm mostly afraid of the effect on the baby and also how painful this procedure would be for me. What I've read indicated it's fairly safe for the baby, but there are conflicting results on the maternal pain issue. I will readily admit that having brought 3 children into the world so far without experiencing a c-section has me terrified of having one at this point. I've listened to so many moms say it's not a bad recovery, etc...so it's mostly fear of the unknown I guess....and the fear that I won't feel good after the baby arrives, which would be a new experience for me as I usually feel so uncomfortable during the 9 months of pregnancy that it's a HUGE relief not to be pregnant finally. I usually go home feeling great. I am spoiled, and feeling somewhat selfish at not wanting a c-section. Anyway, I'm still hoping this little gal will turn around on her own, but we may opt for the ECV to see if that works before jumping on to the next obvious solution. Any comments and/or suggestions will be welcome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You can try it at least. Ask them to be gentle and if it hurts too much..have them stop. Maybe the baby will turn on it's own. I think I heard somewhere swimming might help them turn?
I'm no help but try not to worry! I can imagine it seems overwhelming though. I'd probably give it a try to avoid the c-section.
Good luck with whichever way you decide to go!
There are lots of old tales out there from the time when having a c-section was as painful as any other abdominal surgery. That's not the case anyomore and some women prefer to have a section in order to avoid labor. Having been through a breech delivery myself I'd go the section route without a second thought! But...you do need to be more careful with lifting, etc. during recovery and that is a challenge with 3 punks in the house, as the pioneer woman would say.
I had a c-section with Jacob because he was breech. To tell you the truth, I was more scared of the version than I was of the section. For me the section was a piece of cake. I got great care, took my pain meds every 4 hrs like I was supposed to, and was ready to dance by the time I left the hospital. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I felt great. Granted, I didn't have 3 other little ones making demands either. I know everyone has their own opinions about how births are "supposed" to be, but at the end of the day what we all really want is a healthy baby. That's what I got from my section and I would do it over in a heartbeat. Good luck with whatever you choose...you're the Mom after all and only you can make the choice that’s right for you. (I know, it does help to get others opinions and ideas though.)
Post a Comment