We thought we'd try a restaurant we've never been to before, but had heard about. It's a fondue joint. And fancy schmancy (though you don't have to dress up). We like fondue. For several years in a row we had a fondue dinner for New Year's Eve with my parents. It sort of died out after we had more kids. I'm not sure why, but fondue is a lot of work to prepare, so that probably had something to do with it. Definitely tasty, though!
This restaurant was good, but it's really just the "experience" that makes it worth going. At least that's what we decided. We actually like our own fondue better. It was definitely fun to get away for a few hours, though, and enjoy a quiet dinner in a restaurant that outranked McDonald's. We were even able to have complete conversations, no drinks got spilled, and no one in our party announced to the whole restaurant that they had to go stinky. Imagine!
Oh, I had to take a picture of the slotted spoon resting on the veggie bowl. They call it the "search and rescue" which I found funny. Obviously, the idea is that you dump your veggies into the pot, and then search and rescue them once they're cooked (they sink to the bottom). Overall, I think the restaurant is a little over-rated (and waaaaaay overpriced), but the company I was keeping, and the time I was sharing was most certainly NOT! Happy Anniversary, Honey! I love you!
Today's recipe post comes to you from Southern Living (I hope I got that right. I'm too lazy to go check).It involves peanut flour and peanut butter. And bananas and cream cheese. Go off your diet for today, okay. First of all, yes, there's a such thing as peanut flour. And yes, it's hard to come by (at least around here). I bought mine online from a company called Nuts Online. I think there is a link on the sidebar to your right. I would recommend the company if you like that kind of thing (or if you're on a gluten free diet as they sell loads of organic flours for that purpose). I didn't have any problems with my order, and they even threw in a bonus snack bag of dried fruit and nuts that was really tasty.
So, once my special flour arrived, I set to work making this recipe. I thought it was pretty yummy. It made the house smell wonderful while it was baking. It was heavy, and moist, and nutty. Unfortunately, my kids are not big into baked peanut butter. No matter how you disguise it (it's kind of hard to disguise anyway). I knew this before starting this recipe, but you know, I like to try new things (usually when I have company). I gave one loaf away (it makes two) and half of the other one got eaten. If you like peanut butter stuff, you'll probably love this bread. Scroll for the recipe, and have a great day!

Cream-Cheese Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Streusel
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (80z.) pkg cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups peanut flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1 cups chopped, salted peanuts
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Streusel (recipe to follow)
Preheat oven to 350*. Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended. Combine all-purpose flour and next 4 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in bananas, peanuts and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Sprinkle Peanut Butter Streusel over the batter in pans. Bake at 350* for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until knife or wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack, and cool 30 minutes before slicing.
PEANUT BUTTER STREUSEL
Combine 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup cold butter and 3 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter with a fork until mixture resembles small peas.
No comments:
Post a Comment