...now, she looks like this!A few of our close friends were on hand Friday evening to help us celebrate her 10th year. I mentioned in an earlier post that it was a Colonial Days party theme. My poor exhausted brain is depleted of energy cells, but we made it through (thanks in large part to my mother and KK), and I am finally able to relax and enjoy the photos. The party was a success, according to Emily, and that was really what I was aiming for.
We had 12 kids at the party, and I made each child a little apron which they were able to keep as part of their "thank-you" for coming to the party. They were also useful to keep their clothes clean during the caramel apple making. I strung the aprons up on the wall to start with just for decoration.
These were the apples that we later dipped into warm caramel (which I slightly scorched when I left it on the stove to take a picture...erg!). The wooden tray is just a berry tray that I found at a local antique shop.
I set the table with a few old things to make it look more authentic. The lace tablecloth (under the quilt) was handmade by my grandma. It is still really beautiful. The quilt is actually an unfinished thing I found at the antique store for a steal. The flowers are in an old crock that my mom has, and the old antique iron also belongs to my mother, having been handed down many generations. The other little metal thing there is something mom found somewhere and brought over (I was so busy at that point she could have probably put a singing Elvis on the table I never would have noticed).
This is a very old sampler done by my great grandmother in 1891 when she was in grade school in Holland. It is really amazing that it has been preserved for so many years, given the fact that it has crossed the ocean and even survived a fire (if I have my facts straight)!
These are the dolls mom made for the little girls to have as party favors. Each of the boys got an old fashioned spool tractor which I found in the gift shop of our local Michigan History Museum.
The older girls each got a little mini sampler to take home. It has each girl's initials stenciled on and the hoops cover a little canning jar which has the floss and needle inside. Each child also got a little slate with some chalk, but I forgot to get a picture of that.
Who doesn't enjoy opening birthday presents?? Emily is certainly no exception, and thoroughly loved all her gifts. One of her gifts was quite unique. She was invited to come spend the night (that night!...I knew about it in advance) at her friend's house, and in the morning she and 3 other girls she knew were going to go to JoAnn Fabrics for a cake decorating class. There's a photo of her little cake further down.


After the opening of the gifts, the aprons were passed out. Here is goofball 1 and goofball 2 doing their thing. I think their aprons are pretty appropriate! :)
Goofball 1's sister is also a goofball, but she and goofball 2's sister got girly girl aprons anyway. :)
The older girls had to draw numbers for their aprons because I didn't want any arguing over who got which one.




The kids also played an old fashioned game using an old milk bottle and clothes pins. The object is to see how many clothes pins you can drop into the bottle when you stand over it.

Here is Emily's cake which she made on Saturday at her cake decorating class at JoAnn Fabrics. She really enjoyed herself, and I think she did an excellent job on her first try. I've been promised photos of the other girl's cakes, so maybe you'll get to see them, too! :)
Today's recipe post is from Emily's party. She didn't have a traditional birthday cake, but instead, wanted tea cakes. I failed to get a photo of the tea cakes at the party, but here is a photo of the leftovers (which are still very yummy, and still soft and chewy, 2 days later). This is an old fashioned recipe handed down in the family. They are excellent little cookies, and very simple to make.

Emily with her girls
The whole gang!
OLD FASHIONED TEA CAKES
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
Preheat oven to 375*. Cream the first 5 ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, and add to creamed mixture. You can either chill the dough and then bake later, or just bake them right away for 8 minutes.
3 comments:
What a neat party! Great details!
Thank you, Stacy! ;)
Elizabeth would love this party. She is all into colonial days. She pretends living in those days alot. Neat party
Post a Comment