Thursday, January 19, 2012

I hope you all have had a good week.  We have, and now we're coming to the close and gearing up for the weekend.  We have snow (a little) so the kids are probably going to enjoy some sledding.

A few weeks ago we took the kids and met my parents down on MSU's campus to see the first gymnastics meet of the season.  Sparty was there to cheer them on, but only Nelly and Lauren were brave enough to get this close. 




Ray's been working on getting his ice rink done.  The weather hasn't been particularly helpful until this week. In fact, I was beginning to wonder if he should just skip it entirely this year, but now it's beginning to look more hopeful (in terms of cold temps).  Getting the ice rink ready involves power tools (to make the frame).  Owen was so anxious to help out in any way possible.  This is the first time he's ever used the power screwdriver, and he was concentrating so hard he never even looked up when my camera flashed (he didn't know I was out there).  Talk about one excited boy!





I got cracked up when Owen got this crown out of his backpack this week.  It's a good idea for teaching "ing" and I thought it was really cute and funny.



What she lacks in style she more than makes up for in personality!

Okay, here's a video attempt at showing how I made some homemade croutons this week.  Cut me some slack, this was the first time I ever made croutons.  In my defense, though, they did turn out well.  

Last, but not least, is the recipe post!  I have been attempting to purge my bazillion magazines lately, and in the process of going through them I've found some really tasty looking recipes.  Here's one you might enjoy.  We thought they were really good, and the recipe would be a great base to add any mix-ins you like (nuts, fruit, chocolate, etc..).  The recipe also makes a lot of pancakes (24), so perfect for feeding a crowd.  If you aren't feeding a crowd, either cut the recipe in half, or freeze the leftovers by wrapping them two at a time in saran wrap and then place all in a freezer bag.  To cook, unwrap the pancakes, place on a microwave safe plate, and microwave them (1 or two at a time) frozen for 1 minute, flipping them over once halfway through.
Sour Cream Pancakes
3 c. all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. sour cream
1 3/4 c. milk
6 Tbsp. butter, melted + more for the skillet
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 175* (keep cooked pancakes in a pan in the oven to keep them warm while cooking the rest).  In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  
In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, melted butter, and eggs.  Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.  Batter should have small to medium sized lumps.  In a large skillet over medium low heat melt butter to coat pan.  Cook pancakes as usual.

Enjoy and have a good weekend!

3 comments:

Amber said...

mmmm! Donnie use to do the sour cream pancakes. :-) C. made mini pancakes for supper tonight for us. Donnie should have been the teacher...not me. LOL He has more patience with describing how to cook that I do...that's for sure! LOL Guess I'm more like my mom in that regard...do it and get it over with. :-)

Karen said...

At least you do it! I'm still learning in that dept.!

Amber said...

Oh, me too for sure! Difference between you and I is that you enjoy the process of cooking and I'd rather just get it done and overwith. :-) But I have a husband who is "well-rounded" when it comes to societal thoughts about men/women's "jobs" are and I've truly appreciate that so hope to instill a bit of that in my boys :-) And it starts now when they are young instead of waiting until they are teenagers and won't listen (even more) to me!