Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December Snow

It's December 1st, and Old Man Winter has made his appearance! There were shrieks of delight this morning when the white stuff was discovered sticking to the ground. Lauren and Emily were a little more reserved, I think because they knew they'd have to go to school and wouldn't have a chance to play much in it. And, let's face it, hauling all that snow stuff to school just isn't that much fun.
Owen and Nelly couldn't wait to play in it, though. Nelly doesn't remember snow from last year, and the whole idea of a "snowsuit" was REALLY confusing her. While I was busy putting Owen's gear on him, Nelly went into her bedroom, completely stripped off all her clothes, and got her "fwimming" suit (aka: swimming suit) out of her drawer. She was totally devastated when I made her put it back, and get her clothes back on. At least she was until I pulled out her SNOWSUIT and helped her get it on. Maybe now, she's got it figured out.




The other night, I decided to make a chocolate cake. Nelly found her favorite place on the yellow stool to sit and watch. She's learning that patience pays off when you sit in the kitchen and watch Mom cook! :)
And today's recipe post is the chocolate cake I made (Tiana, if you're reading this you'll no longer need to plot a midnight break-in....;-)). I found the recipe on one of my favorite recipe websites (allrecipes.com). It is a heavy cake, but very moist, and very chocolatey. I made it in my bundt pan and it came out just beautiful. Incidentally, I also discovered that it tastes better the second day, so save some for later if you can.
Have a good day!
LISA'S CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE
1 (18.25 oz) devil's food cake mix
1 (3.9 oz) pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup hot water or strong coffee
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Combine cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, water (or coffee), sour cream, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour. Invert onto a plate and cool. May dust with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

All American Family said...

Ohhh...all of you with snow pictures - you're killing me! I'd like to order a little bit of the white stuff - but jus for about a week please, the it can all go back up north! Jacob is dying to play in the snow - but since it only happens every 25 years (literally) or so, he may be waiting a while! We get quite a bit of ice, but none of the fun stuff to go with it. Thanks for sharing the chocolate cake recipe - like I need that! But it does look delish!