Happy Monday! I hope the start of your new week has been good! Here are a few odds and ends from last week and the weekend around our house. And don't forget, the promised Cranberry Relish recipe is at the end of the post.
I dragged my children out on Sunday for a very impromptu, rushed photo shoot in our backyard. It was a gorgeous day and unseasonably warm for a Michigan November for sure! It's not exactly a Fall photo, but it's how I roll.
Nelly had a little homework assignment this past week. She was required to use this paper to draw a picture of something she's thankful for. This is a drawing of all of us (her family) with heart clouds over us. Sweetness.
*we got a kick out of Ray's square head and our rather ferocious looking teeth!*
Some of this week's funnies:
- While shopping at Sam's Club I came upon a lady offering a sample of chicken nuggets. She informed me that they were made of 100% breast milk before catching herself (she meant 100% breast meat). We had a good laugh over that one!
- I was out shopping last week at Hobby Lobby and came across this sign which made me laugh.
Newsflash:
We have a new bike rider in the family! Nelly learned how to ride a two-wheeled bike this weekend while at Grandpa and Grandma's house. We knew she was close as she's been riding a scooter all over the neighborhood and that requires a fair amount of balance.
Here's a little video clip of her.
Food:
We often enjoy eating breakfast for supper. Pancakes are easy to make and can be changed up in a variety of ways to keep them from being boring. There are a million different pancake recipes out there, and I've tried many of them over the years. I definitely have a few favorites out of the bunch. Not long ago I found this Buttermilk Pancake recipe that is particularly good if you just want a great classic pancake. It's fluffy, has great taste and is tender. And by the way, this photo is not mine. I don't take good food photos. Maybe I'm just in too big of a hurry to eat it. We had them tonight for supper.
Finally, here's the recipe for Cranberry Relish. It's been one dish that's always at every Thanksgiving Dinner I've ever had with my family. There have been many requests for the recipe over the years, and lots of folks who don't like cranberry relish, decide they like this one. It's wonderfully fresh, fruity, tart and sweet. I have no idea where it originated, but it wouldn't be Thanksgiving at Mom's without it. Give it a try! It's pretty and easy, too.
Cranberry Relish
1 pound fresh cranberries, washed
1 large naval* orange, unpeeled, quartered
1 apple, cored, skin on
2 cups sugar
1 cup pecans
*naval oranges usually do not have seeds which is why it's important to use them in this recipe
In a food processor add everything except the sugar. Pulse several times until everything is finely ground (but not mushy). Pour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the sugar, mixing well to fully incorporate. Store, covered, in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment