Thursday, November 8, 2012

It's that Time

Yes, it is HIGH time for me to update this blog!  The problem is, where do I start since so much time has gone by since the last post?!  No time like the present, I suppose, so I'll just start with what I found on my camera with this latest upload.  

As you know, Halloween has come and gone already, but maybe you can stomach a few more pictures from that week.  

Nelly is in preschool now, so I got to enjoy the preschool party first as they celebrated it a week earlier (very smart!).  Nelly went as Merida from Brave.    Here, the kids are all in a circle with Mrs. Brown (who, naturally, came as Farmer Brown) getting their party instructions.  

It didn't take long for the crafts to start...

Boo!

 Next on the agenda was Owen's class party.  They had a brunch in the morning complete with pancakes, sausage and ghostly finger jello.   Yum!  (by the way, Owen was Batman)

This craft was an "eyeball"....mini powdered donut with an M&M in the center and red lines for bloodshot eyes.


Trick-Or-Treat
Batman Returns...


Nelly's costume came with this wig.  She was super excited to wear it.  

So, she went this way, instead.

Emily was Super Grover.  
Wow, even my "S" is leaning in the background!  


Lauren was a zebra.  I thought her outfit was really cute!

As for the wig....
    
                            well....


SOMEBODY has to wear it!

...and somebody else, too!  :-)  What's not to love about an extremely wild red wig??

Skelly and I felt the same way once the festivities were over....only he doesn't appear to have eaten too much candy!

The day after Halloween is Emily's birthday.  She celebrated her 12th birthday this year, and since I am SUCH a doting, wonderful mother, I took photos of her class treat instead of her.  Blah!  Maybe it was the smell of cinnamon that distracted me.  Whatever the case, she requested these for her classmates to enjoy in celebration.

Later that evening we celebrated again with our family and I fixed White Castle Burgers for dinner.  They are really yummy (if you like White Castle Burgers) and sometime I will share the recipe.


For now, though, I'm going to share a recipe I use quite a bit.  Homemade crescent rolls.  They are easy, delicious, and feed a crowd.  And you make the dough the day before.  Perfect for a Thanksgiving Feast!

I didn't take photos of the dough-making process, but it's actually really simple.  Just follow the instructions.  The rest can be a little bit hard to follow without pictures (at least for me, I like pictures).  I like to use my kitchen aid mixer to mix the ingredients, but you certainly do not need one.
So...to make the dough, you need the following ingredients:

1 pkg yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp.)
1/2 c. butter flavored crisco
1 tsp. salt
1 c. boiling water
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
4 c. flour, approximately

Put crisco and salt in a bowl.  Add boiling water and stir until dissolved and then cool to lukewarm.  Add yeast and stir slightly.  Let it sit for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar until well blended.  Add to lukewarm mixture.  Add 2 cups of flour, mixing well, and then add enough additional flour to make a kneadable dough.  You do not need to knead the dough much at all.  Just let it come together into a ball.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, flipping once to grease the top.  Cover with saran wrap and place it in the fridge overnight (I've actually kept mine in the fridge for two days prior to using it, but it's better the next day).  Once you're ready to use the dough, remove it from the fridge and separate it into two pieces (each one will be the size of the one in the photo below).  Proceed as shown below.

Place one dough ball on a floured surface.

Roll it out into a large circle.

Place 1/2 a stick of real butter, softened, in the center.

Spread the butter evenly over the surface of the dough.

Using a knife (or a pizza cutter works well), cut the dough in quarters, then cut the quarters into quarters.  You can cut them again if you like, depending on how many rolls you want and how big you want them to be (remember this is only half of the entire batch of dough).  

As you can see, I cut this to have 16 rolls.  By using both dough balls and cutting them this size, you will have 32 rolls total.  Otherwise, the recipe still makes 16 very large crescent rolls if you cut them only in 1/8ths.  This is why pictures are helpful.

Begin with one triangle of dough and roll it into the center.

Wah - La!  You have a crescent roll!  Now, do that with all the triangles and place them on a greased cookie sheet.

Ain't they PURDY!!!  Now, cover them with a clean cloth and let them rise for about 2 hours.

Bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes and try not to consume them all yourself before they get on the table!


I'll leave after I do a little show and tell.  

Do you get magazines?  What do you do with them when you're done?  
This is what I do with mine.
 Do you see the problem?  Yeah, this basket probably weighs 50 pounds or more....and it's only 1 of 3 (though this one is the biggest).  Time to purge.  
The biggest problem for me is that a lot of these magazines have recipes in them that I want to keep.  So.....I have finally started going through them and tearing out the recipes that look like keepers.  So far today, I've got one basket that looks decent....2 more to go (and I haven't tackled that big one, yet).  Ugh!  Wish me luck!!

Have a great weekend!  I plan to post again next week with my mother's to die for Cranberry Relish recipe!  Stay tuned!!

No comments: