Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Let Them Eat CaKe!


It's been so long since I've put a post here that I almost feel like re-introducing myself!  With February gone and March begun, I hope you won't mind a deluge of photos from the past month and a half.

The ice rink got a fair amount of use in February as the days were more consistently cold enough to keep it frozen.  Even Grandpa came over to participate in chair races.


 And we've been thinking......

....Around here, the month of March should just be called "Cake"...
There are a total of 3 birthdays in our family during the first part of March (Lauren and Nelly share the 4th and mine is the 10th), and somehow everyone is getting their own special cake (and occasionally more than one!).  That makes for a LOT of cake!

We started off with this cake I made for the potluck on Sunday where we sang Happy Birthday to Lauren (Nelly was home sick with a bad cold).  

Luckily for me, Lauren wanted her classroom treat to be from Dunkin' Donuts, so I didn't have to make anything for her.  Maybe it was lucky for her.  This is the mess I tried to make for Nelly's class treat.  Colossal fail!  They tipped over in the car due to poor transport planning on my part (always flying by the seat of my pants), so Kroger came to the rescue with a ready made cake.  Ugh!
 And since I was so busy making cakes, I didn't have time to cook meals (just kidding, but it was a good excuse), so for the birthday dinner we took the kids to Max and Erma's.  This is a special treat for them because we don't usually splurge on this level for family eat out very often.  They especially love the "Build Your Own Sundae Bar".  

Craziness!  

Of course, we also had to have birthday parties....and more cake!
Here's Lauren's choice of cake.  Chocolate overload!  It was a double layer chocolate cake wrapped in kitkats and topped with M&M's.  We're all going to be diabetics.

Nelly's choice was a Cinderella doll cake.  

Behold the birthday girls!  Nelly is 5 and Lauren is 10.

I love the look on Nelly's face here.

And, as if that wasn't enough cake, I also got a cake!!  I was the lucky recipient of this beautiful cake (double layer strawberry!) from Heidi J.  The flowers are edible and were handmade by Heidi and Kierstin!!!  Aren't they amazing and beautiful!! 

Look at the detail!

And I have to share this photo of the kitchen my parents made for Nelly's birthday present.  She has been dying for a little kitchen to play with.  They worked really hard and made this adorable kitchen from a computer desk found at the thrift store.  The sink, faucets and other real kitchen stuff came from the Habitat for Humanity store.  She has LOVED playing with it!  There's still a little touch up to do (paint and the refrigerator door is only propped at the moment), but it's still functional for her.  


Lest you think we just spend the entire month of March Cake partying, I have to share some "normal life" pictures, too.  

Poor Owen woke up one morning with hives.  His face was all puffy and he had welts all over.  We have no idea what caused it, but he had them for a week.  Benadryl took them away, but they always returned when the meds wore off.  

 Fortunately, they have been gone for the last day or so now.


March is certainly good for warmer sunshine pouring into the kitchen.  We love to take advantage of any sunshine we can get!

 Amidst all the madness, someone thoughtfully realized that I would need a reminder for school "comfrinsas" on my calendar.

 Once in a while I enjoy a good, healthy smoothie.  I thought I'd share this one with you.  It's low in bad fats and sugar and high in protein and other good for you nutrients.  Great for a meal (like breakfast or lunch) or for a busy day snack.



Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie*
*amounts are approximate for a one-two serving size smoothie

1/2 c. old fashioned oats
1/3-1/2 c. raw whole almonds (I used blanched)
1/2 c. fat free greek yogurt (any flavor or plain)
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 large handful fresh spinach leaves
1 to 1 1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ice cubes (if a thicker texture is desired)

Blend all together in a blender until smooth.  May use honey to sweeten if needed or whatever you prefer.  Enjoy!  

Until we meet again, Happy Trails to You!

No comments: